Today I visited a customer to perform a health check. Their system consisted of VMware ESXi hosts running on EqualLogic SAN storage.
The volumes on the EqualLogic were thin provisioned and one of them were running ALMOST full plus a good way beyond the warning limit.
As you can see the usage is exceeding the warning limit a lot. Unreserved space is only 12 GB.
Warning: If your thin provisioned volume usage exceeds the warning limit write IOPS drops to 10%
This means we should be able to reclaim up to the 102,64 GB free space from the EqualLogic volume.
Luckily they had already previously upgraded their EqualLogic firmware to 6.0.1 so we could use the unmap feature.
The process is as follows:
1. Enable SSH on one of your hosts connected to the EqualLogic
2. Connect to the host using SSH
3. Issue command: cd /vmfs/volumes/NAME-OF-DATASTORE
4. Issue command: vmkfstools -y 60
5. Check that the command does not fail. If it fails run it with a lower number – fx: vmkfstools -y 10
6. You might have to run the command multiple times to reclaim all available space
7. Logout from host and disable SSH on the host
As you can see the unreserved space now is 109,26 GB. Good results!
Please leave a comment if this helped you 🙂
Incoming search terms: